What’s the difference between the public health system and private health care.
Ireland has a public and private health care system. The public system is managed by the Health Service Executive (HSE). The private system is serviced by a network of private hospitals and clinics. Both systems are separate, however if you have private health insurance you could still be treated by the public care system, in an emergency for example.
What happens if I don’t have private health insurance?
- You will only have access to public hospitals. Public patients don’t have access to private and high-tech hospitals unless they pay themselves.
- Even within the public health care system, you will still have to pay for your hospital stay if you don’t have a medical card.
- Medical cards are only given to certain individuals whose income is below a certain level or who have a long-term illness.
- If you do not have a medical card and are admitted staying overnight, you will need to pay €80 per day for a maximum of 10 days.
- You may be required to wait on the public waiting list before you receive non-emergency medical treatment.
- You are unable to choose a consultant.
Treatment for Private Health Care Patients
If you are a private health care patient covered by health insurance, you can look forward to faster access to diagnostic investigations and subsequent treatments through your choice of consultant. You also have access to:
- Public Hospitals: You can stay in either a public ward, a semi private room or a private room depending on the capacity of the hospital. You will be a private patient in the public hospitals.
- Private hospitals: you can stay in either a semi-private room or a private room depending on your cover.
- Depending on your cover, the cost of your treatment being paid in full or in part by your insurer.
- You may have more choice of consultant.
- You may be entitled to refunds on everyday medical costs such as GP charges depending on the level of your plan.
Health insurance is something that nobody wants to use, however it is so important that when you do need it, you have the correct product in place.
Health Insurance is something that nobody wants to use, however it is so important that when you do need it, you have the correct product in place.
To discuss your options please call Campion Insurance on 01 4033713 or email email@example.com