Storm Callum is potentially on the way and although it’s likely to be short-lived, very heavy rainfall and gale force winds are expected.
As many trees are still in leaf, this means that they are more prone to falling. Also because of leaf litter, we can expect many of the drains to be blocked meaning there is a higher than usual risk of flooding due to rainfall.
Home Owners should:
- Check roof for loose tiles.
- Clean gutters in advance of weather warnings.
- Prepare home storm kit, such as medication, emergency numbers, torches, and candles in the event of power cuts.
- If possible clear out gutters and trim any small trees around property to avoid damage from water or debris.
- Stay indoors until the worst of the storm passes.
- Secure garden furniture and trampolines, take down and store if necessary.
- Avoid all not essential journeys.
- Drive with extra care as heavy rainfall increases the stopping distance and strong winds can blow a vehicle off the road or debris into a motorists path.
- Do not drive into floods, this can seriously damage your car and in some cases this may not be covered by your insurance, if the damage to your car is considered foreseeable.
In the event of an incident, Call our dedicated Claims Team on 1890 300 305.
Source : Twitter @MetEireann